Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happy Fall Y'all



HAPPY FALL Y'ALL



My front door. I keep the door hanging year round. It is a mix of ferns, curly willow and some deep red flowers. It goes with everything (except my spring decor) and I just add a few sprays of berries, pumpkins, a few ornaments, etc. and it really looks cute!



I precariously have these just sitting on top of each other. I had a little shindig last night and I wanted to have it up, but didn't have a lot of time. Thank goodness no one touched it or they may have ended up with a big ol' boo boo. Yes, big ol' boo boo is a medical term.








This is the best picture I could take of my spare bathroom. The floral arrangement isn't my fave & I need to swap out the pink flowers for something more neutral, but I didn't have time. Any suggestions? I am going a little country/country-French-Pottery Barn/chic. Okay y'all...this is in the same spare bath in the water closet (A.K.A. the room with the pot...water closet is just a tad more sophisticated, so we will run with that one). The little picture above the "Wash your hands..Mom said so." sign is a Norman Rockwell picture entitiled "Day in the Life of a Girl". They also have one that is "Day in the Life of a Boy". Mine is M.I.A., so until it reveals itself, this little treasure is all by herself. I am also planning on putting a little shelf above the toilet to set the horse on and am on the lookout for some other little vintage toys. This bath doubles as a guest bathroom and my kid's bath, so it has to be cute enough for company, yet fun enough for kids. I just can't pull myself to do the cutesy rubber ducks for anything.






Lovely fan in the reflection, isn't it? Well, unfortunately, one MUST have a ceiling fan in every room here in Texas. Air circulation in my house is key. So, although not pretty, it keeps Big Ma' here from having that 18-year-old-boy-after-athletics look with full on pit stains.
Nevertheless, I kinda like this little vignette. I LOVE the ribbon on the little wreath, the precious little grinning pumpkin, and the fun letters that I printed on scrapbook paper and slipped in my candleholders. GO ME!!!
Okay, I love this little area, but I am not "in love" with it. I just couldn't quite get it tweaked during my candy corn induced fall decorating frenzy yesterday. Maybe it was the lack of nutrition but I just couldn't get it to work. I think it is okay. I will go browsing some other unsuspecting blogs and see if I can get some inspiration. By the way, I just have to put this out there...this piano is the thorn in my side. A dear friend of ours gave it to us, but (a) no one in our home knows how to play more that an annoying set of Chopsticks, and (2) it is just a very large dust collector. I have tried to give it away, but much to my dismay, my husband thinks it makes our home look "homey". Whatever...someone just learn how to play the cotton-pickin' (oh yeah, I said cotton-pickin') thing and make mama happy.

This is a precious little glass "thingy" (yes, another technical designing term...I know you are impressed). I have developed a small obsession with these, as well as apothecary jars. They are soooo incredibly versatile for every season and event. Oh yeah, I am loving the stacked pumpkins. They are kind of like a little miniature topiary. Now, I have to say that this little nugget of decor in my kitchen won't look that way for long. You see, candy corns and I have this little understanding...if you are a candy corn, I will eat you. I will eat all of your friends and relatives too. Hee hee.

This little guy is the cutest thing ever. I typically don't decorate with any Halloween themed decor because it gives me the heeby-jeebys (hey, that is the way I spell it, okay!). I don't do witches or scary jack-o-lanterns or skeletons. Soooo, I struggled with this one, but his charm won me over (much like my husband did). Anywho, I think he is just precious. I got him at a place in OK with my dear transplanted Texas friend (miss ya' girl!). By the way, she has a great blog (see my link to Southern Sassyness on the side).





I just threw this in here because I need help. Any suggestions on what to do with this thing. Within the next couple of months I plan on having three canvas pictures made with each of my kids and have them lined up underneath the saying (where the wrought iron is now). I am going to have them hanging by some pretty ribbon from decorative hooks. Until then, I need something. I tried a wreath over the top, but I couldn't make it work. Anything???


I feel as though I need to apologize for the quality, or lack thereof, of my photography. I was blessed with my first digital camera a couple of years ago from my sweet mother-in-law, but it just doesn't take that great of a picture. I am thrilled to have a digital after retiring the ol' dinosaur of a camera that I did have. Well, it was 8 years old at the time of it's death. That's like what, 287 is camera years. Anywho, until the day that I can splurge on the $800, sleek, sexy piece of equipment that I know will make me the next Ansel Adams, please bear with me and my slightly out of focus and poorly lit pictures.

Blessings from the Sticks!




3 brilliant things my peeps said about this:

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Great post, girl! You need to ask Santa-in-laws for your new camera..yes?

OK, we need to see a close-up of the boo thing you made on your darlin mantle - that looks fantastic!

Jill Moffitt said...

I'm not sure how I feel about the "iron" peice under the Bless Our Home.
I think the idea of the pictures is going to be really cute!
Those kids are going to get tired of seeing their faces everywhere! Haha.
I'll mail you an 8x10 glossy of Audrey.
Anyhoo ... maybe you could get a shelf and put it there with some smaller pics of the kids, or little knick knacks?

Amy said...

LOVE the boo candles on the mantel!