Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Who loves vintage Halloween? I do, I do!!!



Okay y'all, like you know, I am not a huge Halloween fan. Call me crazy, but I think that scaring children senseless with corpses coming out of the ground and oozing blood on your front porch does not leave fond childhood memories. I have several friends who do not "celebrate" (although I don't know what there is to celebrate on Halloween...or as Martha would say, "All Hallow's Eve"...like, who else says that???) Halloween. I completely understand, accept and respect that. However, I can't stand the thought of missing the photo op of my precious little hatchlings in their costumes, nor the opportunity to "test" the candy that they receive at the Chick-fil-A trunk-or-treat. It is amazing that, as a parent, we are forced to do such horrible things! It is also unfathomable the amount of "unacceptable" candy that I must eat...oops, I mean test, so that my dear children will be safe. Well, I must endure for their sakes...sigh!
Also, I have been pondering the thought of giving the little trick-or-treaters those cute little bags of Cheetos or popcorn balls that I have been eyeballing at my neighborhood store. Is that lame-o? I don't want to be the weirdo neighbor that passes out the crummy treats and gets my house egged. So, what are your thoughts...cute little bags of Cheetos and possible drive by egging, or just plain ol' teeth-rotting and childhood-obesity-promoting candy? Yeah, I think it will have to be candy. Bless their little oversized hearts!
Okay, I have chased a rabbit trial... This is a real head-scratcher for me. Do I decorate for fall only and skip the pumpkin carving and black cats, or do I just make it as non-terrifying as possible? Here is what I have decided. I just LOVE vintage Halloween. Actually, I am a big fan of vintage anything. I have discovered some adorable decor from folk artist Johanna Parker. She does everything, not just Halloween, and it is super cute! (Click above to go directly to her link.) Here is some of her work:



Who can resist this smiling kitty?




Okay, so this little guy isn't necessarily for Halloween, but it could work & he is so cute!


Another happy little guy


Little ornaments for your Halloween tree. Doesn't everyone have one? I would just stick them in a glass jar full of candy corns or have the poking out of a fall wreath on the front door.


Okay ya'll, since the stores are already pulling out their garland and wreaths, here is a little tidbit to get you into the Christmas spirit a little early...




Oh, I can hardly wait!

5 brilliant things my peeps said about this:

Jenni said...

Hi girl! I just love the Halloween art you showed! I have never heard of her before! You know, about Halloween, I know what you mean about gross-and-scary! I'm not into that! I like crafty Halloween things, like owls and black cats (because we have a black cat!),but some things stores are selling are too scary even for me! I like your idea to do vintage Halloween! SO fun! :)

I also wanted to let you know to stop by my blog~ I have something there for you! :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Those are so fun..I love anything vintage!!! I love that white pumpkin with the design going around the middle!

What a great post!
-Sandy Toes

Jenni said...

Hi again!
I would love it if you would make a tutu for my youngest daughter, and she would be SO happy! There's a chance I may have to make that two of them, for both girls. Would you have the time? :) Our oldest is going to be Tinkerbell, but when she sees that tutu...you know how it goes! :) Do you take orders in certain colors?

Second of all, you so much deserve that award! :)

Rachel Berry said...

I'm so loving all that halloween decor!!! And I love that you showed a bit of Christmas as well, I'm already gearing up for my most fun to decorate holiday!! :)

Jill Moffitt said...

Her stuff is amazable. I love that style!
Hobby Lobby has some cute seasonal stuff that is rather whimsical.
Truthfully, I just love to say whimsical.
"WHIMSICAL!"